Sunday, January 01, 2023

Jazz Tracks 2022

 

I usually listen to jazz at work while doing some computer maintenance or slogging through emails. I don't keep as close track of standout albums like I do with ambient and indie. So this is a collection of tracks that I happened to enjoy this year and of course they had to fit with the vibe of the whole mix.

My top 5 jazz albums are:

  1. Charles Lloyd - Trio Of Trios
  2. Makaya McCraven - In These Times
  3. Vega Trails - Tremors in the Static
  4. Tapani Rinne & Juha Mäki-Patola - Open
  5. Oren Ambarchi - Shebang  &  Oren Ambarchi - Ghosted

I cheated on number 5 and included two Oren Ambarchi albums, both of which aren't exactly jazz but I don't really know what genre they are so they get plopped into jazz. I absolutely love both albums and it's my list so I can do whatever I want. Number 4 on the list may not be jazz either as I had it in my top 10 for ambient albums. It's the perfect melding of the two genres. Makaya McCraven - In These Times has gotten a lot of mainstream attention and has shown up on a lot of year-end lists and it deserves it. The album by Vega Trails is essentially bass & wind instruments so it's nice and sparse which why I love it. Charles Lloyd - Trio of Trios is the most straightforward jazz and it's fantastic.

This is the last mix of 2022. Here's to another good musical year in 2023.

Cheers!


[ s t r e a m ]    [ d o w n l o a d ]    [ a p p l e _ p o d c a s t s ]


T R A C K L I S T :

  • 00:00    Omri Ziegele, Where's Africa - Sunflowerpower (That Hat)
  • 05:02    Makaya McCraven - High Fives (In These Times)
  • 08:40    Vega Trails - Train To Kyoto (Tremors In The Static)
  • 11:28    Charles Lloyd - Ay Amor(Live) (Trio Of Trios)
  • 18:38    Jakob Bro & Joe Lovano - Pause (Once Around the Room: A Tribute to Paul Motian)
  • 24:17    Tapani Rinne & Juha Mäki-Patola - Brevity (Open)
  • 28:31    Dexter Story - Kalimba, Then Space (Feel Recordings Volume 1)
  • 30:55    The Arteries of New York City - The Arteries of New York City (The Arteries of New York City)
  • 33:50    Akusmi - Fleeting Future (Fleeting Future)
  • 38:28    Oren Ambarchi - II (Shebang)
  • 48:50    Carlos Nino - Youwillgetthroughthis, I promise (Extra Presence)
  • 55:15    Ralph Heidel - SOII (Modern Life)
  • 59:10    Bill Frisell - Dear Old Friend(for Alan Woodard) (Four)
  • 61:34    end


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice mix.

Low Light Mixes said...

Thanks for listening!