I remember the first time I heard the Daniel Lanois tunes From Eno's Apollo album, I didn't really care for them. I didn't like the pedal steel guitar. I absolutely hated country music back then and I associated the sound of pedal steel with country and nothing else.
Eventually, the tunes grew on me and I've come to love the sound of pedal steel guitar. I also came around on country-tinged music as I fell in love with indie-folk which can make great use of traditional instrumentation minus the pickups trucks, girls & booze of crappy country.
This brings me back around to pedal steel in ambient. There's not a ton of it out there but definitely enough for a good mix. There are four main practitioners of ambient twang - Daniel Lanois, Chuck Johnson, Bruce Kaphan and Chas Smith. I think they all have appeared in earlier Low Light Mixes. All four are in this mix as well as Eno/Lanois tunes, some oddball selections, and some YouTube recordings. Many of the tracks here use an actual pedal steel guitar and some use lap steel.
Up next - synth sequencer heaven.
[ s t r e a m ] [ d o w n l o a d ] [ i t u n e s ]
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00:00 Brian Eno - Weightless
- 04:15 Bruce Kaphan - Outpost
- 11:55 Chas Smith - Santa Fe
- 14:00 Chuck Johnson - Balm of Gilead
- 21:05 Daniel Lanois - In Crystal
- 24:22 Will Van Horn - Aphex Twin - Avril 14 on pedal steel
- 26:18 Joe Carolino - Ambient drone with lap steel & guitar
- 32:53 Youth - Lotus Rhubarb(Colliding Sky Whale Dub)
- 34:18 The National Pool - Solace
- 36:15 Ryan Lutton - Ambient Improv XXIII
- 39:03 Brian Eno - Deep Blue Day
- 42:28 Xploding Plastix - Ritalin For Four Pedal Steel Guitars
- 49:05 Chuck Johnson - Eye on the Sparrow
- 55:42 Brian Eno - Last Step from the Surface
- 59:31 end