- 00:00 Kitaro - Wonderland 2 (An Ancient Journey 2001)
- 03:06 Pharoah Sanders - Kazuko(Peace Child) (Journey to the One 1980)
- 08:55 Thom Brennan - Chasing the Rain Part 1 (Chasing the Rain 2021)
- 17:10 Jon Durant & Stephan Thelen - Fractal 5.7 (Crossings 2021)
- 24:16 Jean-Luc Ponty - Mystical Adventures Part V (Mystical Adventures 1982)
- 28:55 David Wright - Transylvanian Lullaby (In Search Of Silence 2011)
- 36:06 Germind - Subway Of The Future (Reincarnation 2012)
- 42:08 VAAST - LBV (Eta Carinae 2018)
- 46:28 Esmerine - Walking Through Mist (La Lechuza 2011)
- 49:55 Jon Durant & Robert Jürjendal - Reflective Sea (Across the Evening 2020)
- 55:48 David Wright - Sanctuary Reprise (In Search Of Silence 2011)
- 57:20 Max Corbacho - Starlight Grace (Nocturnes II 2018)
- 61:31 Alice Coltrane - The Hymn (Translinear Light 2004)
- 64:30 Ryan Herr & Jesse Hendricks - Cusp ( Cusp 2020)
- 74:13 end
Sunday, July 25, 2021
Sunday, July 18, 2021
I have been lucky to have had some awesome guest mixes this year. The streak continues with this excellent modern classical mix called "Cello Mood Swings." It's an excellent collection of music that features the cello. Duh!
This tracklist comes from loyal listener, Kevin, who was also responsible for last year's Japan themed mix - "Not Seeing is a Flower" Which you can find here - http://lowlightmixes.blogspot.com/2020/07/not-seeing-is-flower.html Kevin collected a bunch of great tracks and I put them together as best I could and the result is pretty darn awesome.
Here's what Kevin says about this mix:
"The idea for this actually came from Tina Guo's haunting version of the Rains of Castamere (Game of Thrones). As I was putting the list together it suddenly dawned on me just how many women have chosen the cello as their main instrument. I tried to make it female only cello players but couldn't quite find enough tracks. The title, Cello mood swings, fits because as an instrument, the cello is brooding and melancholic. But it can be soothing and relaxing as well."
Thanks for another great mix!
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00:00 Hildur Guðnadóttir - Bathroom Dance (Joker OST 2019)
- 02:00 Jo Quail - Gold (Five Incantations 2016)
- 12:18 Zoe Keating - Walking Man (One Cello x 16 EP 2004)
- 18:25 Julia Kent - Flag of No Country (Asperities 2015)
- 23:00 Poppy Ackroyd - Grounds (Escapement 2012)
- 27:00 Zoe Keating - Hello Night (Into The Trees 2010)
- 30:12 Julia Kent - Dorval (Delay 2007)
- 34:00 Esmerine - White Pine (Dalmak 2013)
- 37:33 Christina Vantzou - Anna Mea (No.2 2014)
- 39:33 Jo Quail - South West Night (Caldera 2014)
- 45:25 Christina Vantzou - Homemade Mountains (No. 1 2011)
- 48:45 Hendyamps Studios - Beginning To End(feat Aimee Norris) (Cello Sessions Vol. 1 2020)
- 51:30 Hildur Gudnadottir - Opaque (Without sinking 2009)
- 55:14 Hildur Gudnadottir - Into Warmer Air (Without sinking 2009)
- 61:10 Anne Müller - Aarhus/Reminiscences (Heliopause 2019)
- 65:50 Clarice Jensen - Winter (Ainu Mosir EP 2021)
- 67:31 Peter Gregson - 1.1 Prelude (Recomposed Bach - The Cello Suites 2018)
- 69:31 end
Wednesday, July 07, 2021
- 00:00 Djivan Gasparyan - I will not be sad in this world
- 06:10 Djivan Gasparyan & Michael Brook- Immigrant Song
- 12:17 Djivan Gasparyan - Holy Holy Armenian Orthodox
- 16:22 Erkan Ogur & Djivan Gasparyan - Fuad
- 22:41 Maya Beiser - Memories
- 29:20 Djivan Gasparyan - Nazeli
- 33:48 Djivan Gasparyan & Michael Brook- Chiarescuroed
- 36:45 Djivan Gasparyan - Male Folk Dance
- 42:33 Djivan Gasparyan & Michael Brook - Fallen Star
- 47:15 Djivan Gasparyan - In Foreign Lands
- 52:08 Djivan Gasparyan - A Cool Wind is Blowing
- 55:47 end
Sunday, July 04, 2021
One of my favorite new indie albums of 2021 is An Overview on Phenomenal Nature by Cassandra Jenkins. It's a mostly fairly quiet, folky album. Except for the last cut which is instrumental with a kind of jazzy/ambient vibe. I knew immediately that I wanted to use it in a Sunday morning mix. Then I realized that it had been more than a year since I'd done a Sunday mix.
So here it is - Sunday Morning Music Vol. 21 - Dreamland. It sounds just like the Cassandra Jenkins I described above - jazzy/ambient with a sunny feel. There are two vocal tunes - one by Sam Gendel and the wonderful Dreamland by Joni Mitchell.
There's not much else to say other than grab the Sunday paper, a cup of coffee and hang out with this mix.
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00:00 Time Rival - Breakfast with Birdsong (Fell 2020)
- 02:40 Casandra Jenkins - The Ramble (An Overview on Phenomenal Nature 2021)
- 09:05 Sam Gendel - Shells, Tube, and Guitar (Fresh Bread 2021)
- 15:09 Pino Palladino, Blake Mills - Just Wrong (Notes with Attachments 2021)
- 19:30 Turn On The Sunlight - Looking For A Waterfall (Warm Waves 2020)
- 24:50 Joseph Shabason - 15-19 (The Fellowship 2021)
- 31:33 Green-House - Peace Piece (2021)
- 35:31 Sam Gendel - Sometimes I Feel So Good (Fresh Bread 2021)
- 40:00 Joni Mitchell - Dreamland (Don Juan's Reckless Daughter 1977)
- 44:06 SiP - Malabar (Leos Naturals 2020)
- 52:10 Blake Mills - Mirror Box (Mutable Set 2020)
- 57:00 Chocolate Hills - Relax (A Pail of Air 2019)
- 60:19 end
Wednesday, June 30, 2021
Last year we lost Harold Budd. And now, just six months later, we lose another icon in Jon Hassell.
It's nearly impossible to overstate his importance in shaping an entirely new sound, what he would call Fourth World music. His music has influenced scores of musicians and listeners. I've included a lot of Hassell's music in mixes over the years. And, considering he just released a fine album last year, I expected to be featuring his music in mixes for many more years.
This mix is not an overview of his career. It's a collection of tracks that fit together well, starting with a track from the little known Million Dollar Hotel soundtrack, all the way to the final track, Last Night the Moon Came, which sounds like a good finishing cut.
I wish I could say something eloquent or profound about Jon Hassell and his music, but I'm not that type of writer. I let the music speak for itself and, wow, did his music speak to me and many others. I will miss him.
Thanks for all your great music, Jon.
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00:00 Jon Hassell Gregg Arreguin Jamie Muhoberac Peter Freeman - AM (The Million Dollar Hotel 200)
- 05:52 Brian Eno & Jon Hassell - Chemisty (Fourth World 1 Possible Musics 1980)
- 11:06 Jon Hassell - Cool Down Coda (Seeing Through Sound 2020)
- 12:25 Jon Hassell - Empire I (Aka/Darbari/Java - Magic Realism 1982)
- 13:52 Jon Hassell - Sundown Dance (Earthquake Island 1979)
- 18:09 Jon Hassell - Air (Power Spot 1986)
- 23:09 Jon Hassell - Malay (Dream Theory In Malaya 1981)
- 29:36 Jon Hassell - Out of Adedara (City: Works of Fiction 1990)
- 33:55 Jon Hassell - Map of Dusk (Myths 3 1987)
- 35:10 Jon Hassell - Timeless (Seeing Through Sound 2020)
- 42:44 Jon Hassell - Maarifa Street (Maarifa Street: Magic Realism, Vol. 2 2005)
- 49:32 Jon Hassell - These Times (Dream Theory In Malaya 1981)
- 51:23 Jon Hassell - Last Hight the Moon Came (Last Night The Moon Came Dropping Its Clothes In The Street 2009)
- 62:15 end
Sunday, June 20, 2021
I recently read an article in the New York Times that was published in 2016 about an unlikely collection of admirers. A group that started back in 2004 to sing the praises of...clouds. These devotees are known as "The Cloud Appreciation Society."
Here's a link to the NYT article... https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/08/magazine/the-amateur-cloud-society-that-sort-of-rattled-the-scientific-community.html
And the society... https://cloudappreciationsociety.org/
The name of the group stuck in my head as a possible theme and title for a mix. So here it is, a cloud themed mix. All the tracks have the word "cloud" in their titles. The music is appropriately drifting and relaxing. All the tunes are relatively new except for a few tracks from 2008, 2014, 2015 and one which reaches back to a Folkways record from 1981.
Look up, admire the clouds drifting by and float away with this mix.
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00:00 Andrew Chalk - From Mountain Tops the Dusky Clouds (Incidental Music 2020)
- 05:05 Marine Eyes - Cloud Collecting (idyll 2021)
- 09:18 Max Richter – Shimmering Clouds (My Brilliant Friend 2018)
- 10:20 Craig Kupka - Clouds 2 (Clouds: Music for Relaxation 1981)
- 15:20 Gaussian Curve – Broken Clouds (Clouds 2014)
- 20:05 Clariloops – Clouds (Sun//Rain 2021)
- 23:34 Yui Onodera & Vadim Bondarenko - Cloudscape 8 (Cloudscapes 2015)
- 27:00 Shuta Yasukochi – Clouds (Slow sketch vol. 1: Reflections of the ambient community 2019)
- 30:45 Robert Rich - Fall Up, the Clouds Will Catch You (Offering to the Morning Fog 2020)
- 39:30 The Green Kingdom – Cloud Cloak (Ephemera 2018)
- 43:09 Innesti – The Architecture of Clouds (Formless 2019)
- 51:20 halftribe – Cloud Dreaming and Shadows (Cloud Dreaming And Shadows 2020)
- 56:22 Rudy Adrian - Of Clouds and Mountains (Desert Realms 2008)
- 63:29 end
Sunday, June 06, 2021
I've had a good run lately, posting a lot of mixes. But due to busy schedules and a bit of laziness, I've run out of fresh mixes ready to upload. Then comes Paul to the rescue!
This mix is a breath of fresh air, going in a different direction than any of my recent mixes. Here's what Paul has to say about this excellent set:
“This mix features oud, sitar and koto, moving from the Near/Middle East, across South Asia to the Far East. This is not a Folkways sampler, but focuses on the rich tapestries created when Eastern and Western musical styles and instruments are blended together, with both traditions being equal participants, rather than one used merely as “exotic” embellishments for the other. Such cross-cultural musical experiments go back to the mid-20th century’s jazz /rock fusion groups (e.g., Oregon); early EM pioneers like Kitaro, Osamu Kitajima, Popul Vuh and David Parsons; and visionary new record labels like ECM. Here, I’ve highlighted more recent work, and while the options are much more plentiful now, the Low Lights leitmotif of gentle atmospheres has guided my selection. Even so, a couple of mid-tempo gems—essential to this kind of survey—have snuck into the mix."
Thanks, Paul, for another great contribution to the Low Light Mixes canon.
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00:00 Dhafer Youssef - Shaanti 'Atihi Devo Bhava' Suite (Sounds of Mirrors 2018)
- 04:10 Rahim AlHaj - Letter 1 Eastern Love Sinan (Letters from Iraq: Oud and String Quintet 2017)
- 10:41 Sachal Studios Orchestra - Take Five (Interpretations of Jazz Standards & Bossa Nova 2010)
- 16:20 Prem Joshua - Night Rain (Sky Kisses Earth 2001)
- 22:45 Anoushka Shankar - Prayer in Passing (Rise 2005)
- 28:52 Hans Christian - First Light (Nanda Devi 2015)
- 35:20 Al Gromer Khan - I Got Vilayat Khan's Blessing (Sitar Secrets 2014)
- 39:14 Hiroshima - Kototsu-Han (Pbon 2005)
- 44:04 Luna - Tubular Bells (Luna 2013)
- 48:09 Gates of Morheim - Omagatoki (Omagatoki EP 2020)
- 53:15 Kitaro - Shining Spirit of Water (Sacred Journey of Ku-Kai, Vol 2 2005)
- 57:33 Rabih Abou Khalil - Bukra (Bukra 1989)
- 65:25 end
Sunday, May 30, 2021
I've been wanting to make an orchestral mix for a long time. Sometimes individual tracks will show up in other mixes but I haven't done one devoted exclusively to modern classical music in a long time.
What finally got me going with this mix was the new album from Max Richter - Voices 2. It's a beautiful album with lots of tracks that would work for an ambient leaning modern classical set.
I really like how this one turned out. All but two of the tracks are from 2021. They flow from one to the other really well, making for a nice cohesive mix.
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00:00 Max Richter - Psychogeography (Voices 2 2021)
- 06:40 Glowworm - A Late Arrival (Midnight Intervals 2020)
- 10:30 Sven Laux - Fragment 3 (Scattered Fragments of Separation 2021)
- 13:48 Christine Ott - Pluie (Time To Die 2021)
- 18:35 That Which Is Not - Twin (The Basic Sharpness Of Emotions 2021)
- 24:56 Simon McCorry - Full Circle (And Where Are You Really From? 2021)
- 28:33 William Ryan Fritch - Resurface (Freeland 2021)
- 30:01 Christian Löffler - Pastoral (Parallels 2021)
- 33:33 A Winged Victory for the Sullen - Every Solstice & Equinox (Invisible Cities 2021)
- 35:42 Jóhann Jóhannsson - Flight From the City(Vikingur Olafsson Rework) (Retrospective II _ Rarities 2021)
- 41:29 Elskavon & John Hayes - Du Nord (Du Nord 2020)
- 45:55 Peter Gregson - Somnia 
- 48:40 Max Richter - Movement Study (Voices 2 2021)
- 53:41 Slow Dancing Society - The Devil Knows How To Row (Galilee's Dream 2021)
- 58:38 Ross Gentry - Nobody Wants To Leave (Prism of Dust 2021)
- 62:00 end
Sunday, May 23, 2021
- 00:00 Assia Cunego - Section 25-30 (Canto Ostinato 2009)
- 03:42 Alice Coltrane - Vrindavana Sanchara (Transcendence 1977)
- 07:22 Andrea Cortez - Song 3 (The Secret Song of Plants 2020)
- 14:20 Mary Lattimore - Pine Trees (Silver Ladders 2020)
- 17:28 Lavinia Meijer - Gnossienne No. 1 (Voyage 2015)
- 21:45 Kirsten Agresta Copely - Winter's Bone (Around The Sun 2020)
- 26:51 Claire Deak & Tony Dupé - for bernadette (the old capital 2020)
- 29:27 Lavinia Meijer - Glassworks Opening Piece (Glass:Metamorphis The Hours 2012)
- 35:33 Susan Jolles & Bert Lucarelli - Claire De Lune (Music for Oboe & Harp 2012)
- 40:35 Julia Rovinsky - An Arc of Doves (Dusk 2010)
- 46:52 P.G. Six - #1 For Wire-Strung Harp with Echo (Music From The Sherman Box Series and Other Works 2006)
- 49:49 MItch Greer - Ambient Harp Midnight Reverie (Ambient Harp Midnight Reverie 2020)
- 65:55 end
Monday, May 17, 2021
At the end of 2020 I posted a mix called "Quiet Indie Songs" and it did a lot better than I expected. A few folks thought it should be a recurring series and I agreed. So here you have installment #2 - "Quiet Indie Songs #2 - Spring 2021."
I'm sneaking this in under the wire as it's barely spring anymore. Most of the songs are from 2021, with 4 of them from 2020. There are some old favorites in there, like Damien Jurado & Phoebe Bridgers. And also a lot of new to me artists like Arooj Aftab, Becca Mancari & Mt Went.
I'm always open for suggestions for new indie artists to use for this series so let me know in the comments if you have some ideas.
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00:00 Vagabon & Courtney Barnett - Reason to Believe (2021)
- 02:25 Damien Jurado - Helena (2021)
- 05:05 Helado Negro - Sound & Vision(Bowie cover) (2021)
- 08:16 Damielle Durack - There Goes My Heart (No Place 2021)
- 12:46 Bryce Dessner - Another World(String Arrangement (Impermanence/Disintegration 2021)
- 16:31 Arooj Aftab - Saans Lo (Vulture Prince 2021)
- 20:22 Jack Symes - Overwhelming (Tompkins Park 2021)
- 25:08 Phoebe Bridgers - Halloween (Punisher 2020)
- 29:20 Piers Faccini - Together Forever Everywhere (Shapes of the Fall 2021)
- 33:27 Mt Went - Light in the Dark (Lit Way Down 2021)
- 38:20 Dawes - St. Augustine At Night (Good Luck With Whatever 2020)
- 43:23 Laura Marling - For You (Song For Our Daughter 2020)
- 47:14 Alexia Avina - Inner Garden (Unearth 2020)
- 50:31 Gia Margaret - Solid Heart (2021)
- 54:08 Waxahatchee - Streets of Philadelphia(Springsteen cover) (2021)
- 58:03 Skullcrusher - Song for Nick Drake (Sorm in Summer 2021)
- 60:47 Becca Mancari - Annie (Juniata 2021)
- 65:23 end