sounds swim all around
drifting in the warm embrace
of this strange beauty
This my second 4th world mix and it's similar to the 2018 version. It still follows the Jon Hassell esthetic of "a unified primitive/futuristic sound combining features of world ethnic styles with advanced electronic techniques."
Most of the tracks are new, 10 of the 17 tracks being from 2019 or 2020. I was almost done with the mix when an excellent new album from Halftribe dropped on the 24th. Listening to the first track I knew I had to buy it and sneak that cut into the mix somewhere. It fits perfectly.
The two recordings that got me going with this mix are Andrew Pekler - Sounds From Phantom Islands and Romeo Poirier - Hotel Nota.
One of my favorite parts of this mix comes at the 24:30 mark. There two tracks playing simultaneously. One from Eli Keszler is mostly percussion and the other by Walt Rockman is shimmering electric piano with under water vibe. I didn't intend on those two going together, I just accidentally left one of the tracks on my timeline and when they played together I knew I had to keep it.
I don't know if this type of mix works in the middle of autumn but I just couldn't put it off any longer. I hope you enjoy this Indonesia fever dream.
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00:00 Andrew Pekler - Hy Brasil (Sounds From Phantom Islands 2019)
- 04:00 Roméo Poirier - Du rocher (Hotel Nota 2020)
- 07:45 Lemongrass - Bamboo House (Papillon 2012)
- 10:40 MNO - Souce (Ambient Marimba - MNO Sleeps 2020)
- 12:35 Wild Card - Under A Steel Gray Sky (Patterns In Cooperative Labor 2017)
- 15:25 Halftribe - Hiking With Eve (Cloud Dreaming And Shadows 2020)
- 20:25 Vieo Abiungo - A Branch Gave Way (The Dregs 2019)
- 22:45 unkown - mbira with drone (2018)
- 24:30 Eli Keszler - Which Swarms Around It (Stadium 2018)
- played simultaneously with Walt Rockman - reflections under water
- 26:45 Ross Alexander - Albert Plays the Flute (Memorias, Vol. 1 - Bugandan Sacred Places 2017)
- 31:12 Wu Cloud - Weh Island (Pulsa Rimba 2020)
- 34:42 Luis Miehlich - Klock (Currents 2020)
- 38:10 Meitei - Utano (Komachi 2019)
- 41:50 the volume settings folder - i will not go now on the pastures to walk (Home Diaries 017 2020)
- 46:15 Terje Isungset - Float (Floating Rhythms 2000)
- 47:50 Forrest Fang - Water Village ambient remix (Letters To The Farthest Star 2015)
- 55:00 Aglaia - Offline views (Offline views 2019)
- 60:54 end