This mix is less of a best jazz recordings of 2017 and more of a mix of jazz that I enjoyed in 2017. I don't listen to nearly as much jazz as I do ambient and indie music. But I liked enough releases to come up with an end of the year jazz mix. So here it is.
The year was anchored by two spectacular recordings - Aytche by Joseph Shabason and All This I Do For Glory by Colin Stetson. I saw Stetson at a small club and was blown away by his sound and technique. If you get the chance to see him up close definitely go.
There are two albums that I discovered while compiling tracks for my mix, Rhythm of the Rails. Those two are Eternal Stories by Michel Portal & Quator Ebene and Simultonality by Joshua Abrams & Natural Information Society. Both excellent recordings.
Another highlight of 2017 was ECM records putting their entire catalog up on Spotify. I listened to nothing by ECM for a few weeks this fall.
This will probably be my last mix for 2017. I've already started on a guest mix for liftedicons.com that will be fun to put together. Music definitely helped me get through a messed up 2017. Here's to a great 2018.
[ s t r e a m ] [ d o w n l o a d ] [ i t u n e s ]
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00:00 Joseph Shabason - Aytche(Aytche)
- 03:40 Vijay Iyer Sextet - Wake(Far From Over)
- 08:03 Ben Allison - Magic Number(Layers of the City)
- 14:38 Bjorn Meyer - Provenance(Provenance)
- 20:30 Quatuor Ebene - City Birds(Eternal Stories)
- 27:55 Colin Stetson - Spindrift(All This I Do For Glory)
- 33:36 Portico Quartet - Endless(Art in the Age of Automation)
- 37:46 Kamasi Washington - Desire(Harmony Of Difference)
- 42:07 Phronesis - Ok Chorale(The Behemoth)
- 45:50 Joshua Abrams & Natural Information Society - Maroon Dune(Simultonality)
- 54:48 Dorothy Ashby - Pawky(Hip Harp/In A Minor Groove)
- 51:55 end