This mix started with an interesting album I came across this past weekend, Ernest Hood - Neighborhoods. It was originally released in 1975 but was recently rediscovered and rereleased. It's a curious combination of field recordings and early ambient noodling. The result is captivating.
I picked the track "Saturday Morning Doze" as the starting point for a new Sunday morning mix. I noticed it had Fender Rhodes piano type of sound going on. I'm not sure if there is a Fender Rhodes playing or not but it definitely reminded me of the Rhodes sound from the 70s that I love so much.
So then the mix changed from a normal Sunday morning mix to a Fender Rhodes 1970s mix. Each track is from the 70s(duh) and has the sound of Fender Rhodes piano in it. While digging up tunes I realized that all the electric piano sounds in this mix might not all be a Fender Rhodes. They could very well be some other vintage electric piano. But I don't care, it's the sound and feel that's important.
Longtime listeners will notice a few tunes that I've used before from Steve Hillage, Harold Budd, Brian Eno, and Daryl Hall(yes, that Daryl Hall). I generally try to stay away from using songs in multiple mixes but these cuts fit so perfectly that I couldn't resist. The other odd thing about this mix is the first 45 minutes are instrumental then we go to vocal tunes for the final 17 minutes. It wasn't planned, it just sort of worked out that way.
Enjoy this trip back to the 70s.
[ s t r e a m ] [ d o w n l o a d ] [ i t u n e s ]
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00:00 Ernest Hood - Saturday Morning Doze (1975)
- 07:05 Steve Hillage - Garden of Paradise (1979)
- 10:43 Camel - Rhayader Alone (1975)
- 12:28 Gilgamesh - Lady And Friend (1975)
- 15:45 Harold Budd - Bismillahi 'Rrahmani 'Rrahim (1978)
- 21:05 Penguin Cafe Orchestra - The Sound of Someone You Love (1976)
- 28:28 Soft Machine - E.P.V. (1973)
- 30:57 Lilienthal - Gebremster Schaum (1979)
- 36:32 Hugh Hopper & Alan Gowen - Waltz For Nobby (1979)
- 45:22 Joni Mitchell - The Hissing Of Summer Lawns (1975)
- 48:15 John Martyn - One World alt. version (1977)
- 51:51 Brian Eno - By This River (1977)
- 54:35 Roxy Music - Spin Me Round (1979)
- 59:10 Daryl Hall - The Farther Away I Am (1979)
- 61:50 end
brilliant mix...perfect for driving on pre-dawn, ante meridiem roads and streets
Thanks for listening!
Post a Comment