Sunday, January 30, 2022

Between These Breaths

 


In April of 2020 I posted "Of Reed and Breath" which is an ambient sax mix. You can find that mix here:

When I created that one I wasn't sure how it would work. Turns out, ambient sax is a great theme to build a mix on. I've been planning on a follow up for a long time and it's finally here.

Since that first mix two years ago I have totally bought into wind instruments in ambient and modern composition music. That's why my fav album from last year was "Departures" by mastroKristo(who makes an appearance in this mix). From Clariloops to Sam Gendel to Dirk Serries to Andrew Heath, sax and other woodwinds have become a big part of my ambient listening habit.

All the tracks in this mix are excellent but I especially love the cut from Matt Borghi & Michael Teager and the cut from Dirk Serries. Perfect combo of sax and ambient. I also have to mention the final track Max Richter's On the Nature of Daylight by Signum Saxophone Quartet. That track is one of my favorites of all time so when I found a sax quartet cover of it I nearly lost my mind. Perfect way to end the mix.

Cheers!


[ s t r e a m ]    [ d o w n l o a d ]    [ i t u n e s ]


T R A C K L I S T :

  • 00:00    Ethan Braun + Sam Gendel - 1/2 SCULPTURE [Rio Nilo 66 2021]
  • 04:14    mastroKristo - The Breath [Depatures 2021]
  • 07:05    Phillip Schroeder - On Occasion [Passage Through a Dream 2015]
  • 10:25    Jefre Cantu-Ledesma - For Mothers [A Little Night Music Aural Apparitions from the Geographic North 2020]
  • 14:15    Matt Borghi and Michael Teager - Stationary Voyage [Subterranean Bearings 2020]
  • 19:25    Dirk Serries & Trösta - Oceanus [Island On The Moon 2021]
  • 26:22    Night Gestalt - Between Two Breaths [Thousand Year Waves 2021]
  • 31:34    Fuubutsushi - Cicada Season [Fuubutsushi 2020]
  • 34:00    Carmen Villain - Agua Azul [Sketch for Winter IX: Perlita 2021]
  • 38:25    M. Sage - Spinnaker on a Southerly [The Wind of Things 2021]
  • 41:14    Klaus Gesing, Björn Meyer, Samuel Rohrer - What We Leave [Amiira 2016]
  • 45:52    Pino Palladino, Blake Mills - Notes with Attachments [Notes with Attachments 2021]
  • 47:37    Sam Gendel & Shin Sasakubo - Reeds [Sam Gendel & Shin Sasakubo 2021]
  • 49:54    Okomotive, Joel Schoch - Sail, my Friend! [FAR: Lone Sails Soundtrack 2018]
  • 53:00    Signum Saxophone Quartet - On the Nature of Daylight for Saxophone Quartet and Cello [Echoes 2021]
  • 59:13    end


No comments: