Anyone who has followed this mix blog regularly knows that I'm a space dork. I've done countless stargazing mixes, sci-fi mixes, NASA mission mixes, etc. So it should come as no surprise that I would make a mix to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 mission.
This was a lot of fun to put together because, in addition to some excellent music, I listened to a bunch of mission audio from NASA. Thank goodness for youtube.
The mix tracks the journey as it moves from liftoff to orbit to TLI(translunar injection) to landing and walking on the moon and finally returning home. The titles of the tracks in the mix give a clue as to what is happening at that point in the expedition. Such as Max Richter's "The Escape" as Apollo performs the TLI burn to leave earth orbit and head to the moon. Or the Jane Antonia Cornish tune, "Into Silence," which is heard as the crew goes around the backside of the moon and loses radio contact.
There are three cuts from Justin Hurwitz's wonderful soundtrack to film First Man. One oddball track is "Lunar Rhapsody" from the album "Music Out Of The Moon" released in 1947. It's in there because Neil Armstrong had it on cassette and listened to it during the trip.
In addition to the music, there is a lot of audio from the mission in this mix but I love it because as I said I'm a space dork. I think it works well with the tunes.
If anyone else is even a bit off a space dork, you may like this trove of NASA pics...
There are a ton of great pics in large format.
I hope everyone enjoys listening to this mix as much as I did making it.
[ s t r e a m ] [ d o w n l o a d ] [ i t u n e s ]
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00:00 Voces8 - Song for Athene(2019)
- 06:15 Brian Eno - Drift(1983)
- 08:45 Max Richter - The Escape(2017)
- 10:10 Justin Hurwitz - Translunar(2018)
- 10:50 Loneward - Map and Compass(2019)
- 13:08 Echaskech - Star Gazer ISS(2019)
- 16:33 Craig Padilla & Zero Ohms - When the Earth is Far Away(2012)
- 20:40 Johnny Jewel - Slow Motion(2015)
- 23:14 Jane Antonia Cornish - Into Silence(2018)
- 28:17 Public Service Broadcasting - Go!(2015)
- 32:09 Justin Hurwitz - Moon Walk(2018)
- 33:25 Miktek - Magnificent Desolation(2013)
- 37:47 Matt Morton - We Landed On The Moon(2019)
- 38:37 MIS+RESS - Moonglow(2019)
- 41:28 Icebreaker & BJ Cole - An Ending (ascent) I(2012)
- 44:55 Sven Laux and Daniela Orvin - Sudden Farewell(2019)
- 46:48 Les Baxter - Lunar Rhapsody(1947)
- 50:00 Brian Eno - Always Returning(1983)
- 53:27 Justin Hurwitz - Home(2018)
- 55:02 end