Sunday, March 04, 2018

Shimmer - An alternative soundtrack to the film Annihilation



I saw the film Annihilation on opening weekend and really liked it. It is directed by the same guy that directed Ex Machina and has the same crew doing the score. While I didn't like it quite as much as my favorite sci-fi film of the last few years, Arrival, I did like it quite a bit. And I especially loved the score. It goes seamlessly from acoustic guitar to synthetic noises to creepy choral sounds. It's great.

So of course I had to make my own interpretation of the soundtrack, just like I did for Blade Runner 2049. I liked how that one turned out so much that I knew immediately after seeing Annihilation that I'd soon be making a mix.

I started collecting a few tunes for the mix but it wasn't until I found "Elemental Shimmer" by Robert Davies that the project really took off.  The music from Davies' album is perfect for setting the scene and it's even more appropriate because it's got the word "Shimmer" in the title.  The Shimmer is the anomaly enveloping "area x" that the scientists enter to try and figure what the heck is going on.





Making these alternative soundtracks is a lot of fun and I'm sure I'll be doing more in the future. I hope you like this one.

Cheers!



[ s t r e a m ]    [ d o w n l o a d ]    [ i t u n e s ]



T R A C K L I S T :

  • 00:00    Robert Davies - Honeysuckle Vapour
  • 04:18    Moon Wiring Club - Marshlight No. 2
  • 05:00    Ryuichi Sakamoto - Walker
  • 07:05    Chris Watson - Vatnajokull
  • 07:30    Martin Grech - Ashes Over Embers
  • 09:00    Peter Gabriel - Slow Water
  • 11:05    Moon Wiring Club - A New Face On An Old Friend (Blazing)
  • 13:20    Recondite - Der Steinmetz
  • 15:45    Isorinne - b2 5-00
  • 19:50    Stockholm Radio Choir - Lux Aeterna
  • 21:17    Penguin Cafe - Control 1(interlude)
  • 25:30    A.R.C. Soundtracks - Ruins-Ritual
  • 28:57    Biosphere - Sphere Of No Form
  • 30:12    Murcof - Sangre
  • 31:45    Leyland Kirby - Sadly, The Future Is No Longer What It Was
  • 32:18    Somei Satoh - Mantra/Stabat Mater from The Arts at St. Ann's
  • 33:30    Emptyset - Augur
  • 35:06    Morton Feldman - Rothko Chapel 3
  • 35:45    From the Mouth of the Sun - A Breath to Retrieve Your Body
  • 39:20    Ryuichi Sakamoto - Solari(Johann Johannsson rework)
  • 44:44    Robert Davies - Of Foxglove & Nettle Leaves
  • 50:42    Western Skies Motel - Leaving Behind
  • 53:45    Thomas Köner - Tiento de la Luz 4
  • 55:43    Biosphere - Green Reflections
  • 58:45    end










2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Don't want a reply because I cannot handle it. Just wanted to say thank you for putting all these new gems online for me to add to my Buddha device. I play them in private at home and it's one of the most heavenly feelings ever; to be able to drift off and have my mind healed by these wonderful mixes. They are perfect day and night <3
If I come out of hermit mode and am able to communicate again I might offer you a third guest mix after 6 years gap. I don't want anything for it. Your website contributions are more than enough soul food to fill trillions of lifetimes.
Much love, Michael xoxo (muttley_subversion)

Low Light Mixes said...

:-)