Wednesday, July 07, 2021

I will not be sad in this world - a tribute to Djivan Gasparyan



The track, "I Will Not Be Sad In This World", is one of the most beautiful recordings ever made. It is hard not to be sad, however, upon hearing the news of the passing of Djivan Gasparyan. 

I will forever be grateful to him for introducing me to the wonderful sounds of the duduk, an Armenian double reed woodwind instrument made of apricot wood. Despite it's single-octave range, Gasparyan was able to coax a wide range of emotion from the duduk.

This mix is a tribute to Djivan's wonderful music. It is by no means comprehensive, it's a collection of excellent tracks that I already had in my library. Most are solo tracks with a few collabs with Michael Brook. And one stunning cover - Maya Beiser performing "Memories" on the cello.

Thanks again, Djivan Gasparyan, for your legacy of great music.




T R A C K L I S T :
  • 00:00    Djivan Gasparyan - I will not be sad in this world
  • 06:10    Djivan Gasparyan & Michael Brook- Immigrant Song 
  • 12:17    Djivan Gasparyan - Holy Holy Armenian Orthodox
  • 16:22    Erkan Ogur & Djivan Gasparyan - Fuad
  • 22:41    Maya Beiser - Memories
  • 29:20    Djivan Gasparyan - Nazeli
  • 33:48    Djivan Gasparyan & Michael Brook- Chiarescuroed
  • 36:45    Djivan Gasparyan - Male Folk Dance
  • 42:33    Djivan Gasparyan & Michael Brook - Fallen Star
  • 47:15    Djivan Gasparyan - In Foreign Lands
  • 52:08    Djivan Gasparyan - A Cool Wind is Blowing
  • 55:47    end



No comments: