Sunday, December 01, 2019

2019 Film Scores



I use a fair amount of film music in my mixes and have done mixes of all soundtrack tunes but I have never made a best of the year mix for film scores. Until now.

There were no blow my mind scores, like Arrival or Solaris, this year but there was a lot of excellent music to choose from for this mix.

As an ambient guy, I lean towards more atmospheric film scores. I'm not at all interested in the soundtrack for the new Star Wars film or Avengers Endgame. So in my list of 2019 favs there are the usual suspects - Clint Mansell, Max Richter, Cliff Martinez & Johann Johannsson. Along with great music from folks like Hildur Guðnadóttir, Peter Gregson, Stuart A. Staples, Daniel Hart, and Adam Bryanbaum Wiltzie.

One of my favorite film music discoveries of the year is William Ryan Fritch. In addition to the monumental collection of film music, Deceptive Cadence: Music For Film Volume I & II, he released two more film scores in November - Artifishal & Exit 12 which I knew I had to include because they are both excellent. All three recordings are available on Lost Tribe Sound - https://losttribesound.bandcamp.com/

Sometimes I start a mix with high expectations but with this one, I was just trying to cobble together enough tracks to make a mix worth uploading. But I've been listening to this mix for a week and I'm very happy with how it turned out. It flows really well is an engaging listen.

Up next Best Film Scores of the Decade.

Cheers!





T R A C K L I S T :
  • 00:00    William Ryan Fritch - Canary in the Coal Mine (Artifishal)
  • 01:35    Ben Salisbury And Geoff Barrow - Amy Follows Luce (Luce)
  • 03:45    Bryce Dessner - The Homecoming (The Kitchen)
  • 05:19    Guðnadóttir, Hoedemaekers, Jóhannsson - Secret Rendevous (Trapped)
  • 07:21    Max Richter - A Trip to the Moon (Ad Astra)
  • 11:24    Paul Haslinger - The Connection (Halt & Catch Fire vol. 2)
  • 13:15    Peter Gregson - Sequence Four (Mari)
  • 17:24    Daniel Hart - John Beckers (Over Water)
  • 21:00    Richard Thompson - The Cold Blue (The Cold Blue)
  • 24:00    Cliff Martinez - I'm Not Going to Hurt You (Too Old to Die Young)
  • 25:42    M83 - End Credits (Knife + Heart)
  • 27:49    Hildur Guðnadóttir - Vichnaya Pamyat (Chernobyl)
  • 31:30    William Ryan Fritch - Vietnam (Exit 12)
  • 34:23    Clint Mansell - Timeslip (Out of Blue)
  • 38:27    Johann Johannsson - Playing With Ball (White Black Boy)
  • 40:16    Stuart A. Staples - Grow Baby, Grow (High Life)
  • 40:51    Daniel Hart - A Beacon of Honesty and Hopefulness (Over Water)
  • 41:51    Cliff Martinez - Jesus and the Snake (Too Old to Die Young)
  • 44:37    Max Richter - Erbarme Dich (Ad Astra)
  • 47:35    Paul Leonard-Morgan - Assessments (Amateurs in Space)
  • 49:29    Rob Simonsen - On Her Trail (Fast Color)
  • 51:03    Paul Haslinger - Venture Capital (Halt & Catch Fire vol. 2)
  • 52:27    Stuart A. Staples - Main Title (High Life)
  • 53:42    Adam Bryanbaum Wiltzie - Bridget's Theme (American Woman)
  • 55:00    Daniel Hart - Anna Elizabeth Shaw (Light Of My Life)
  • 56:36    Peter Gregson - I Want You To Move Out (Adolescence)
  • 58:11    Hildur Guðnadóttir - 12 Hours Before (Chernobyl)
  • 60:13    PJ Harvey - Waltz (All About Eve)
  • 62:55    Johann Johannsson - Intro (White Black Boy)
  • 64:24    William Ryan Fritch - Life Cycle (Artifishal)
  • 65:58    end









2 comments:

Duck said...

Hi, I haven't listened to the mix yet, but I'm watching Chernobyl right now, and I really liked the soundtrack, and I'm glad to see you've included it here. Is that soundtrack available, or how did you get these tracks? Thanks, I look forward to your further best-of mixes!

Low Light Mixes said...

Sorry it took me two weeks to respond but yes, Chernobyl is available. Here's an Amazon link... https://www.amazon.com/Chernobyl-Music-Original-Hildur-Gu%C3%B0nad%C3%B3ttir/dp/B07S9BCDHF/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Chernobyl+soundtrack&qid=1576336365&sr=8-1

Thanks for listening!