Sunday, October 20, 2019

Best Music of the Decade


I love lists. Every year I make a Best Ambient/Instrumental Album list. And a best album list for “normal”/indie music and a list of the best song’s of the year. It’s a good thing I’ve been making those lists because there’s a BIG list out in the horizon - Best of the Decade. 

Over that last week I’ve started to compile my list of the best ambient/instrumental albums of the 2010s. With sooooo much music coming out every week I’d have been lost trying to figure out my favorite recordings from 2012 if I didn’t have a list from that year. So I’m going to those lists and looking through my Spotify playlists and searching online to come up with a list of my 50 favorite ambient/instrumental albums from the past decade. I’m sure I will miss a ton so if you have suggestions I’d love to hear about them in the comments. 

Because I listen to as much or more indie music I’ll be making a decade albums list for that along with a best songs list as well. I already know that my top album of the decade on the indie side will be Carrie & Lowell by Sufjan Stevens. 

On the ambient side I’m pretty sure that Sleep by Max Richter will be my top album. I’m sure artists such as 36, Loscil and Johann Johansson will make the final cut. 

I haven’t decided if I’ll make mixes to go along with these lists(probably will). Let me know about your favorite music of the 2010s. It’s a fun exercise combing through a decade’s worth of great music. 

Cheers!

4 comments:

rog said...

You have to do mixes!

The ambient/instrumental releases that have stuck with me from the last 10 years:

Arve Henriksen - Places of Worship
DJ Healer- Nothing 2 Loose
Floating Points - Elaenia
Jon Hopkins - Immunity
Kasper Bjorke Quartet - The Fifty Eleven Project (thank you!)
Matthew Halsall - When The World Was One
Max Richter - Sleep
The Necks - Open
Nils Frahm - Spaces
Underworld - Appleshine Continuum
A Winged Victory for the Sullen - Self-Titled

Cheers,

Rog

Low Light Mixes said...

Excellent choices! I totally forgot about a few of those so I'll have to go back and listen more.

Cheers!

Jake Millions said...

Amazing Music list. I have also listened it.

The Interstellar Radio Station said...

Hey Dave, do they give you power to moderate these advertizing posts? Its totally out of control.