I was having a tough time coming up with an idea for a new mix. The shortwave mix, a drift on the signal, is one of my favorite mixes so I decided to do a sequel.
And thus, through ionospheric transit, comes...a ghost in the phase. The formula is pretty much the same as before, a nice mixture of real shortwave radio recordings and ambient music with shortwave elements. Most of the shortwave stuff comes from the Shortwavemusic blog. That's the same source I used for the last shortwave mix. It's run by Myke Weiskopf. Here are a couple of his other sites...Myke Weiskopf and Myke's Live Journal
Lots of cool sounds at all three sites.
After the last shortwave mix a listener said it reminded him of Tetsu Inoue's World Receiver. How could I have forgotten that disc?! This time I made sure to include it. It's such a fantastic recording. You can buy it from Infraction records . Another excellent release that made it into the mix is the new one from Steven Mathieu called Radioland. Check it out.
The Entia Non and krill.minima and Unproduct cuts are all available for free download.
Download(right click/save as):
a ghost in the phase
The times in this tracklist are just approximations. Sometimes there are several cuts playing at once, things fading in and out, etc.
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00:00 - Pulse Wave FX & JBO Tokyo Radio
- 00:16 - Entia Non - Cultural Plagiarism
- 01:28 - Fennesz - A Year in a Minute
- 04:33 - Myke Weiskopf - Shortwave Condensation
- 05:55 - Djivan Gasparyan - dle yaman
- 06:56 - Cairo Radio
- 07:45 - Punkt - Speechless
- 08:24 - Cairo Radio
- 09:13 - Rod Modell - Aloeswood
- 12:38 - Tetsu Inoue - Elevator Drops
- 19:05 - Stephen Mathieu - Auf der Gasse
- 22:45 - Fennesz Sakamoto - Aware
- 26:37 - Radio RASD
- 26:54 - My Fun - Signal Drift
- 29:06 - Felicia Atkinson with Sylvain Chauveau - Aberdeen
- 34:11 - Chris Bissonnette - Traveling Light
- 40:00 - WEWN
- 40:46 - Post-Soviet Melancholia Pt. V: "Мой Рок и Ролл" via Russian International Radio
- 42:40 - krill.minima - Projektor
- 45:34 - Myke Weiskopf - The Grotesque
- 46:23 - Unproduct - Radio Canvas 3
- 46:52 - numbers
- 47:40 - pulse transmission
- 50:30 - Rameses III - Origins IV May 25, 2007
- 53:20 - Stephen Mathieu - Radioland
- 02:30 - Pulse Wave FX
Brilliant mix! I love how the shortwave effect weathers the sound quality and makes those foreign languages seem so far away, almost like another universe. The blend of acoustic sounds with field recording was also very tasty. Well worth the wait!
Thanks for the second mix. Also amusing to see my "radio globe" tattoo reproduced as your artwork!
Beautiful, again. Thanks, again.
Post a Comment