Saturday, September 15, 2007

breathing music

After a quick side trip we are back to a straight forward, ambient mix.

I got the idea for this mix from my online friend, Brian and his excellent podcast, The Quiet Sounds. At the beginning of the year he did a mix of sleep music and said this about it..."many of these tracks have a lullaby, 'breathing' quality...".

The idea of "breathing" music caught my attention. I would come back to the concept again and again as I listened to music this year. So I finally decided to put together my own mix of "breathing" music.

Most of the tracks have a common feel...in & out, back & forth, ebb & flow...a wash of sound that fades then the wash returns. Most of the cuts are fairly new, though I was happy to squeeze in some old Cluster & Eno.

download(right click/save as)
b r e a t h i n g


T R A C K L I S T

  • 00:00 - 05:30 Alp - tropen
  • 05:30 - 10:30 Robert Henke - layer #3
  • 10:30 - 14:00 Stars of the Lid - another ballad for heavy lids
  • 14:00 - 18:30 Scott Solter - wave & sepia wire
  • 18:30 - 22:30 Cluster & Eno - old land
  • 22:30 - 27:30 Steve Roach - slow rapture
  • 27:30 - 31:30 Jeff Pearce - life in the dusk air
  • 31:30 - 34:20 Alio Die & Luciano Daini - la rocca’s view
  • 34:20 - 43:30 Marsen Jules - eilet en delta
  • 43:30 - 48:00 Cluster & Eno - fur luise
  • 48:00 - 50:40 Andrew Deutsch - loops over land
  • 50:40 - 58:40 William Basinski - el camino real
  • 58:40 - 03:26 Stars of the Lid - the evil that never arrived

17 comments:

nrvnet said...

Another great mix Dave!

breathe in the slow sound
breathe deep late afternoon calm
breathe out ambience

Anonymous said...

thank you.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Dave,

Another mix that improves with repeat plays.

Keep up the good work.

Greetings from London England.

René said...

Thanks!!! Don't remember joining the mailing list but happy I could stumble upon this. Peace.

Chris said...

Really nice mix; definitely sends me out into the world.

Anonymous said...

Could you post some of the Asphalt Eden super-classics like The Beautiful Land of Nod I and II and Hydrogen Cafe’s The Stars My Destination and Stargazing to your Mixcloud as guest mixes/classics in the field/inspirations to you mixes please, I think your fans would be overjoyed by this, and it would be sheer cultural maintenance. Imagine if four of the best albums by the best bands one day couldn’t be found anymore! Well this is just the same. Thanks for it all. I’m a big fan as you can probably tell.

Low Light Mixes said...

Efforting...

Low Light Mixes said...

I have both Land of Nod mixes and Mr. Eden is listening to them right now to see if he can figure out the tracklist. Hopefully we can post them soon. Cheers!

Anonymous said...

I really am so grateful, and I am sure all your listeners will hugely appreciate! It would be great if you could please do the same for Hydrogen Cafe’s Stargazing and The Stars My Destination, which are like the original inspirational greats of modern stargazing/drift ambient mixes, and I know he has a big personal connection to yourself, and inspired Tone Poet/Spaceman’s Transmissions also of course, among others.

Anonymous said...

I hope it is a positive flashback for Brian also. Thank you to him. He should know that people truly appreciate and remember extremely fondly and rate very highly various of his previous incarnations! Cheers to both.

Low Light Mixes said...

Hopefully at least one of the Land of Nod mixes will be posted in June. I don't have any of the Hydrogen Cafe mixes so those will not be reposted. Cheers!

Anonymous said...

I have an mp3 of Stargazing 1 on my computer now. Can we make this happen? Can you advise the best way perhaps? If you don't want to, I'll stop hassling you. Isn't it true to say that without his inspiration and the Wisconsin stargazing trips with him, you wouldn't even be doing this now?

Anonymous said...

June 7th is the 15th anniversary of Nrvnet posteding the iconic Stargazing 1 mix. I'm not the only person who thinks it's the best album of the last 15 years. Commenting in blogs is not my hobby, however, this the last. Thanks for it all, really appreciated, cheers.

Low Light Mixes said...

Thanks for your enthusiasm and comments but I won't be posting any Hydro Cafe mixes. Cheers

The Interstellar Radio Station said...

Nrvnet's Music for Stargazing volumes 1 (June 7 2007) and 2 (Dec 14 2008) are played regularly as standard repertoire on the Interstellar Radio Station.

Anonymous said...

Thanks InterstellarRS. They are truly classics. ‘The Stars my Destination’ which predates Stargazing 1 is next best after Stargazing 1, I feel. Did Low Light and Nrvnet have a falling out, I wonder? When all of this started with stargazing trips between them? Sad.

Anonymous said...

Low Light, I should have asked last year— WHY WONT you be posting any Hydrogen Cafe mixes? When Stargazing 1 for example may be the pinnacle of the whole endeavour that you have spent a decade and a half doing, and I believe it was created for you to hear on an actual stargazing trip, and all of that inspired you to start doing this? Why won’t you post the best mix from the field of drift ambient stargazing mixes, when it isn’t currently available online? Because why?