I recently stumbled upon an album by The National Pool called "Relaxation Tape for Solo Space Travel."
First of all, what a great title! And second, what fantastic cover art!
When I heard the song "Simpler Times" I knew that I had to buy the album and I knew that I had to make a mix with an retro, analog, space sound. So I set about collecting tunes that sound like they could have come from an old space science filmstrip. Some of the music is from current artists like Boards of Canada, Air, The Belbury Circle, Panabrite, Cafe Kaput, Moon Wiring Club, Schengen and Lunar Testing Lab. But mixed in there is also old electronic music from Eric Vann, Paul Hart, Alan Hawkshaw and Frank Comstock. Much of the old music has a sort of cheesy, retro vibe that I love in a mix like this.
Grab some Tang and kick back for this journey to the moon and beyond.
[ s t r e a m ] [ d o w n l o a d ] [ i t u n e s ]
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00:00 Alan Hawkshaw - Probe 2
- 01:06 Vector Lovers - Long Wave
- 01:40 Boards of Canada - Wildlife Analysis
- 02:01 The National Pool - Simpler Times
- 08:42 Solvent - wig $1.00
- 11:07 Eric Vann - Space Face
- 11:55 Frank Comstock - Stairway to the Stars
- 14:25 Panabrite - Departing
- 17:28 The Belbury Circle - Light Industry
- 21:42 Lunar Testing Lab - The Cosmic Unknown
- 23:36 Café Kaput - Maranyl Is Chosen
- 26:05 Paul Hart - Superfine
- 26:41 Schengen - Me n'U
- 27:22 Moon Wiring Club - Between Two Worlds
- 28:40 Alan Hawkshaw - Terrestrial Fanfare
- 30:52 Air - Cosmic Trip
- 34:51 Lunar Testing Lab - Lunar Radio Control(with Russian Conet voice added)
- 36:25 Alan Hawkshaw - Saturn Rings
- 40:15 Boards of Canada - Come to Dust
- 43:36 Café Kaput - Ergonomo
- 49:05 Orgasmo Sonore - Space Team
- 50:52 Eric Vann - Astroport
- 53:00 The National Pool - Through the Breach
- 60:01 end