I have been planning on doing a stargazing mix for a long time and then a new EP by 36 came out and I knew I had to get cracking on a new mix.
The new EP is called Sine Dust and it's excellent. All the tracks have a similar feel to them and that is by design. 36 artist, Dennis Huddleston, says "I wanted to make an EP that had a strictly defined sound and theme, which continued from beginning to end, using a limited array of instruments to tell the story." And it's a good story. The synths have a sort of retro feel without being kitschy or obvious. The touch here is just perfect. And the tracks work nicely for an astronomical theme.
The 6th track in the mix is from an excellent new compilation from Tessellate Recordings - Earthtones Vol. 3. Just like the other two comps, this is a great collection of tunes with a nice variety of sounds and textures.
The Fripp tune is one of a bunch freebies that his DGM Live website has available. I highly recommend spending some time there and looking through all the oddities they have available for download.
The rest of the tunes I think work rather well as a soundtrack to laying on your back and staring up at the night sky. Whether it's looking for a meteor streaking through the atmosphere or gazing at a blood moon, this mix should transport you off planet.
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00:00 36 - Beyond the Heliosphere
- 05:57 Monty Adkins - Entangled Symmetries
- 09:00 Fripp - Time Stands Still
- 14:30 Lorenzo Montana - Bloom
- 20:31 Robert Rich - Aetherfolds
- 23:40 Map 165 - Long Shore Drift
- 26:47 Alpha Wave Movement - Cryptic Signals
- 33:06 Spectra Ciera - Second Narrows
- 35:52 Jon Hopkins - cold out there
- 39:03 36 - Sun Riders Part II
- 43:42 Kalgan - Subway Evening
- 46:44 Lunar Testing Lab - Station East
- 50:36 Aglaia - Polar Cap Absorption
- 54:27 Steve Roach - The Delicate Forever
- 65:35 end