Wednesday, April 15, 2015

The Ambient Dishwasher




Every mix has it's own unique starting point.  And this mix definitely started in a unique place - my dishwasher.

One day my dishwasher was making some weird noises, it kind of sounded like an alien playing a didgeridoo was trapped inside.  So I recorded a little bit of the sound and then processed it using Paul's Extreme Sound Stretch.  And whaddya know - it actually sounds pretty good. 





I've used Paul's Extreme Sound Stretch in mixes before and it's a fun little program for non-musicians like me.

I posted the stretched version on the Hypnos Recordings forum just for kicks.  A couple folks asked to hear the original source as well.  Then the next thing you know some of the artists who frequent the forum took that original dishwasher sound & used it as a source to come up with their own original takes.

I was pretty darn excited.  These are artists that in some cases I've been listening to for years.  And they were going to make music from my freakin' dishwasher.  Pretty cool.

Here's the Hypnos forum dishwasher thread... HYPNOS

We ended up with five pieces created from the original dishwasher sounds.  I also asked my son, who produces EDM music as AXX, to also make an ambient dishwasher tune, which he did and I gotta say I love his version.  Throw my stretched version in there and we have 7 dishwasher tunes, enough for a whole mix.  Pretty cool again.

I started the mix with the original sound and let it morph into the different versions.  They all flow together very well.

Here are the links to each individual piece used in the mix in order of appearance...

https://soundcloud.com/low-light-mixes/dishwasher-original

https://soundcloud.com/low-light-mixes/dishwasher-drone




https://serenffordd.bandcamp.com/track/rin-se







T R A C K L I S T :
  • 00:00    Dishwasher original sound
  • 00:17    Dave Michuda - Dishwasher Stretch
  • 01:00    Forrest Fang - Dave's Dishwasher(Zen Cycle)
  • 02:42    AXX - Dishwasher Drone AXX Rework
  • 05:15    Igneous Flame - Chthonic Cycles
  • 09:25    Castleview - Cavewasher
  • 11:20    The Circular Ruins - The Circular Ruins Over Dave's Dishwasher
  • 15:00    Dave Michuda - Dishwasher Stretch part 2
  • 16:55    Seren Ffordd - Rin-Se
  • 20:43    end



4 comments:

Cloudland Blue Quartet said...

Hi Dave - I used stretching on my last album "Morphinecodex" - you can find it on Bandcamp here - http://bit.ly/1G58YTN

Enjoying your mixes - the dishwasher was a stroke of genius!

Unknown said...

Running the high temp water in your sink for a couple of minutes before beginning your dishwasher can help build the warmth of the water utilized amid the wash cycle. For more tips you can move to thesis writing service .

Anonymous said...

Woow,i loved it!

regards

best baby strollers 2019 price
best dish washer 2019 Price
Best Bluetooth Speakers 2019 Price

Mr Appliance said...

such a nice post thanks for sharing this with us really so impressible and attractive post
click here