ghosts from the past whisper in
grooves of forever
There's a first for this blog - vinyl haiku. I was looking for ways to describe this mix and as I collected expressive words, the list started to take on it's own poetic quality. So I thought, what the heck, I'll just formalize it into an actual haiku. It was fun, I haven't written any sort of silly haiku in years.
Anyway, the haiku fits this mix because the music is all dusty and scratchy. It all has a old vinyl feel to it. It some cases it has that feel because the music really is old, like early 1900s old. Two of the tracks are actually old Edison cylinder recordings. I searched through old recordings at archive.org for music that would blend well with the other ambient & neo-classical tracks in this mix.
I've done two previous mixes in this style - Sustain & Decay and Revenants of the Past. A lot of ambient music makes use of noise, distortion, scratches, glitches, hiss & pops so the actual old recordings fit in nicely. There are six old recordings that appear in the final mix. Most of the ambient cuts are of fairly recent vintage.
I like the title for this mix because the word "score" takes on a double meaning as in a musical soundtrack as well as trench, channel or groove in a vinyl record or cylinder.
Enjoy the pops & hisses.
[ s t r e a m ] [ d o w n l o a d ] [ i t u n e s ]
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00:00 1956 RCA Victor Vinyl Records Educational Documentary
- 00:30 Arturo Toscanini - Romeo & Juliet Overture(Pt-1)1946
- 01:25 The Caretaker - Mental Caverns Without Sunshine
- 01:45 e and i - known things
- 03:50 Maps & Diagrams - Longitudinal Vibration
- 07:20 Billow Observatory - Helsinki Radio
- 08:50 Tim Hecker - Sketch 6
- 10:00 e and i - tiniest smile
- 11:11 Philip Jeck - chime again
- 14:05 Edison Bohemian Orchestra Lacinquantaine Cylinder Recording
- 15:15 Ten and Tracer - By Twirling the Quicksphere
- 18:00 Tape Loop Orchestra - The Word On My Lips Is Your Name
- 19:50 Philip Jeck - Wipe
- 23:15 Benoît Pioulard - Pidgin
- 24:25 Mozart 'Gavotte in G' from 'Idomeneo' (1912)
- 25:25 The Humble Bee - The Collecting Plate
- 26:25 Part Timer - Undead part 1
- 30:15 The Caretaker - Mental Caverns Without Sunshine
- 31:00 Semiramide Overture 1912
- 35:05 Maya Beiser - Time Loops
- 37:25 From The Mouth of The Sun - Color Loss
- 42:42 The Caretaker - A Last Glimpse Of The Land
- 45:15 Tape Loop Orchestra - The Word On My Lips Is Your Name
- 51:25 Albert Spalding - Thais(violin) Edison blue amberol cylinder
- 52:30 The Humble Bee - Fin
- 54:07 end