The idea for this mix came from a track by Andrew Sherwell on his wonderful new album, Orthodox Tales, released by the excellent label Whitelabrecs.
The song, "And the Smoke of the Incense," starts off with the sound of a film projector. That sound is strangely evocative and I love how it sounds in that cut. After hearing that tune I created a folder called "My Life is an Old Film" and I would occasionally toss in similar sounding tracks. Eventually I collected enough cuts for a mix and decided to change the name to "Memories are an Old Film."
Many of these tracks have a bit of noise and scratchiness that one would associate with an old 8mm film. I added a few film projector sound fx here and there to continue the vibe.
[ s t r e a m ] [ d o w n l o a d ] [ i t u n e s ]
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00:00 Andrew Sherwell - And the Smoke of the Incense(2018)
- 03:15 L. Pierre - 1948 part 2(2017)
- 08:45 Ghost And Tape - Eostre(2017)
- 13:25 Luton - Spectres of Mark(2018)
- 15:38 Masaya Kato - Desensitization(2018)
- 18:05 Max Richter - Old Song(2004)
- 19:55 The Caretaker - Synapse Retrogenesis(2018)
- 21:30 Parallelism - Tapes(2018)
- 25:30 Lusine - drip(2004)
- 27:25 Clem Leek - Rogers Park(2018)
- 30:50 Aaron Martin - Memories are Drifting Bells(2018)
- 32:15 Ashlar - Same Fate(2018)
- 36:15 Tape Loop Orchestra - Inner Voice(2018)
- 43:30 Time Rival - Carbon Fever pt. 3(2018)
- 49:55 Max Richter - Shadow Journal(2004)
- 52:10 The Caretaker - Advanced Plaque Entanglements(2018)
- 53:55 Kilchhofer - Nihic(2018)
- 57:41 Dakota Suite - De Ziekte Van Emile(2018)
- 61:04 end