Friday, November 25, 2016

Mysterioso



I'm not sure where this mix began.  Possibly late at night, glass of whiskey on the table, slow jazz playing in the background.  Arve Henriksen probably came up & got me thinking about dark, atmospheric jazz.  Which sends me to Spotify to investigate more jazz noir, which leads to the discovery of Shadowdream & Dead Combo, which leads to a new mix.

As you've probably guessed by now this is a late night, atmospheric jazz set.  I knew when I started this mix that I'd have to include something from the Twin Peaks soundtrack because that is the first thing I think of when contemplating noir jazz.  The Angelo Badalamenti & David Lynch cut that I picked works nicely because also used it for the title of the mix.

I really like the mood and feel of this entire mix and I hope you do too.  Grab a scotch and give it a spin in the dark.

Cheers!






T R A C K L I S T :
  • 00:00    Angelo Badalamenti - Mysterioso 2
  • 04:37    Arve Henriksen - The Sacristan
  • 07:45    The Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble - Avian Lung
  • 12:45    Triosk - Awake in the Deep
  • 14:18    Harold Budd - Emboldened-My Dreams Perish
  • 16:30    Shadowdream - The Obsession Begins Tomorrow
  • 20:40    Daniel Lanois - Sketches
  • 24:40    Dead Combo - After Peace Swim Twice
  • 27:55    Povarovo - Methro Nome
  • 31:03    Arms And Sleepers - Atelier
  • 33:05    Cliff Martinez - Ask him why he killed my brother
  • 35:04    Shaqdowdream - The Hour of the Wolf, Alfa and Omega
  • 37:25    Bohren & Der Club Of Gore - Karin
  • 40:50    Julien Neto - V Rivers
  • 45:25    Arve Henriksen - Recording Angel
  • 47:25    Pjusk - Dempet
  • 50:10    Jon Hassell - Light on Water
  • 57:40    Nick Cave - Magneto
  • 62:45    end






6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now residing on my phone, Filed under 'Ether Jazz".

Low Light Mixes said...

Ether Jazz is a perfect description! Wish I'd thought of that. ;)

Jorinhs said...

And just the best song from Dead combo! Shout out from Portugal ;)Great as always!

Dave said...

Jorinhs, Glad you like the mix! I just discovered Dead Combo while making this mix. Were you familiar with them before?

Thanks again for listening. Stay well in Portugal. :-)

Cheers!

Jorinhs said...

Since the beguining. Cult status here. 2 guys/guitar and counterbass. Very western spaghetti fado instrumental movie like. Just made this a few weeks ago (poems with soundtrack) with their song and the song you chose was on my ambience guitar mix ;) hope you enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwPVW4rOta8

https://www.mixcloud.com/jorgempaulino/here-it-begins/

Jorinhs said...

Forgot this ;) When Bourdain was in Portugal. Soundtrack by Dead combo and features them aswell, that's how they reached the states

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUvalj-ia28