Sunday, January 11, 2009

searching for objects

The original name for this mix was "noisy, droney, scratchy".  Very catchy title.  That's a pretty good description of how I wanted this mix to sound.

I don't like too much noise, however.  Most of the tunes have some grit, some distortion, some white noise, some scratches but not too much.  I still wanted the mix to be very ambient, not annoying or distracting.  

I guess the Fripp & Eno cut isn't very noisy or scratchy but could be considered droney.  I'm just happy to have squeezed into a mix.  I hadn't listened to it in years & had forgotten how much I loved that track.

Of course now that I just posted the mix, Tim Hecker comes out with something new that would have fit perfectly.  And the next Infraction release from Sleepy Town Manufacture sounds like it would be a good fit too.  Oh well, I guess I'll have to save those for volume 2.

Download :

T R A C K L I S T I N G :

3 comments:

asphalteden said...

I just received the Sleepy Town disc yesterday, and I think you'll really enjoy it. TONS of vinyl scratch, even though it's on CD!

Looking forward to playing this mix, as usual, Dave.

Wey Nagrom said...

I've made a mix on one of my blogs, over at http://apicalmeristems.blogspot.com/2009/02/post-millennial-recession-devotional.html that I think you might enjoy (provided you can stand the tension/release of the first 15 or so minutes!). The balance somehow fell to one channel, so if you have a means of fading the stereo-channels, it should be good.

Tracklist as follows:

Section I: A Prayer & An Opening

01 II by Philip Jeck & Jacob Kirkegaard (Soaked CD 2002)
02 3m by Chris Watson (Oceanus Pacificus 7" 2007)

Section II: Surface Abrasion

03 Southern Right Whale Surfacing in the South Atlantic by Chris Watson (Outside the Circle of Fire CD 1998)
04 06:15 by Deathprod ft Matt Burt (Deep Throat Puke Orgasms CS 1991)
05 Padmasambhava Tsechu Sadhana: Invocation (Fragment I & II) by The Drukpa Kagyu Order of Tibet (LP 1976)
06 13:57 by The Body Lovers (Number One of Three CD 1998)

Section III: Something Lost (Lamenting/Celebrating)

07 06:15 (Edit) by Deathprod ft Matt Burt (Deep Throat Puke Orgasms CS 1991)
08 Karenina Revisited by Charlemagne Palestine, David Coulter & Jean Marie Mathoul (Maximin CD 2002)
09 05:32 by The Body Lovers (Number One of Three CD 1998)

Section IV: Something Found (Shamanising)

10 Psychotic Photosynthesis (No Drum Mix) by Omar-S (CD 2008)
11 Yanomamö Shamans of Southern Venezuela, November 1978 Recorded by David Toop (Ancient Lights & The Blackcore CD 1995)

Section V: A Lilting Blue Hue

12 Down Home Kami-Sakunobe Zeitkratzer & Terre Thaemlitz (Electronics CD 2008)

Section VI: At the Crossroads

13 08:58 by The Body Lovers (Number One of Three CD 1998)
14 The Crossroads, Kielder Forest in Northumberland, England (Stepping Into the Dark CD 1996)
15 10m by Chris Watson (Oceanus Pacificus 7" 2007)
16 06:15 (Quiet Edit) by Deathprod (Deep Throat Puke Orgasms CS 1991)
17 Southern Right Whale Surfacing in the South Atlantic (Quiet Edit) by Chris Watson (Outside the Circle of Fire CD 1998)

Section VII: In Closing...

18 Feed the Birds (Tuppence A Bag) by Julie Andrews (Mary Poppins OST LP 1964)

Melisa Marzett said...

Hi everyone! I hadn't listened to these tracks in years and had forgotten how much I loved that tracks. Nostalgia... Listen to me... Our http://www.proofreading-services.org/ offers professional writing assistance, so don't hesitate to ask your questions!