Friday, October 11, 2024

A Moon Full Of Stars and Astral Cars by Andy McNeill/Maple Mountain Sunburst

 


I fell in love with the music of Andy McNeill, who records as Maple Mountain Sunburst, back in 2010 with the release of the album The Maple Mountain Sunburst Triolian Orchestra. Combining a wide variety of instrumentation, electronics, loops and samples the music creates a unique album and listening experience. The album was one of my favorites of 2010.

When I found out that, after a long hiatus, there was new album this year, I was totally hyped. The new recording, Ecstatic, is everything I'd hoped for. Described by Andy as “Instrumental electronic ambient with loops and chopped samples, old keyboards, guitars, and found voices. The vibe is heartwarming, blissed-out, and euphoric; a balm for turbulent times.” You can find the new album here - https://maplemountainsunburst.bandcamp.com/album/ecstatic 

I was so excited by the new music that I asked Andy to create a mix. He graciously agreed and created multiple mixes. So awesome! This is the first one and it is excellent. I can't stop listening to it.

Here's what Andy says abut this mix:

"I could say this playlist is about transcendence and something about the physical and spiritual journeys we might take to get there. Or I could just say these are tracks that bring me joy. Some old favourites, some new. I’ve tried to weave my own material through here in a desperate but determined effort to rise to the level of wonder and beauty in these artists’ work."

Here links to all the music used in the mix:

Thanks, Andy, for your hard work on this set. 

Cheers!




T R A C K L I S T :
  • 00:00   Maple Mountain Sunburst - Waters Of Forgetfulness (Ecstatic 2024)
  • 05:24   Santo & Johnny - Sleepwalk (Presenting Santo & Johnny 1959) 
  • 07:43   Lemon Jelly - Ramblin’ Man (edit) (Lost Horizons 2002)
  • 13:45   The Percy Faith Strings - Out Of This World (Bouquet of Love 1962)
  • 17:46   Maple Mountain Sunburst - Murmuration Awe (Ecstatic 2024)
  • 20:34   Juana Molina -¿Quién? (Segundo 2000)
  • 23:04   Nick Zammuto - Tonight We’ll Go For A Ride (We The Animals 2018)
  • 25:14   Sufjan Stevens - Everything That Rises (Javelin 2023)
  • 30:10   Maple Mountain Sunburst - Dream Fuel (Ecstatic 2024)
  • 34:56   Michael Nyman - Drowning By Number 3 (Drowning by Numbers 1988)
  • 38:24   Radiohead - Pyramid Song (Amnesiac 2001)
  • 43:07   Cocteau Twins - Otterley (Treasure 1984)
  • 46:53   Michael Brook - Midday (Hybrid 1985)
  • 52:18   Brian Eno - Spider and I(Before and After Science 1977)
  • 55:55   Bill Frisell - Half a Million (Is That You? 1990)
  • 59:00   end

No comments: