Wednesday, April 24, 2024

SLOW/FORM by Tewksbury

 

I occasionally get music submitted for consideration to be used in mixes. I don't seek out submissions but if artists or labels are so kind as to send me some music I will take a listen. Last month I got a totally blind email with a link to a new album from Tewksbury. I fell in love with the album instantly. Well, not instantly as the full album is over 3 hours long. 

Check it out here... https://tewksbury.bandcamp.com/album/floes-volumes-i-iv

Each track is over ten minutes long and they evolve slowly, beautifully as the tape loops, melodies and textures stretch time and space. I liked the album so much that I asked the artist, Douglas Tewksbury, to create a mix and, luckily for all of us, he agreed. 

Here's what Douglas has to say about SLOW/FORM:

"This mix is a collective of slow, organically unfolding music, songs that reminded me of the importance of reflection, of stillness, of contemplation, of change. A few tracks are from my most recent 4x album 'Floes: Volumes I-IV', and the rest are artists who create slowly evolving works with human voices, with synthesizers, and with pianos, culminating with a stunning 19-minute piano work by the incredible Ukrainian pianist, Lubomyr Melnyk. Music can be such a powerful force to reflect on ourselves and the world around us, and here, I wanted to present a moment of consideration and contemplation on what it means to be a listener, investing the time to take the journey in longer works, to invest oneself in the commitment of deep listening."

Thanks to Douglas for creating the mix and for such an excellent album.

Cheers!


[ s t r e a m ]    [ d o w n l o a d ]    [ a p p l e _ p o d c a s t s ]


T R A C K L I S T :

  • 00:00   Tewksbury - Vika (Self-Released, 2024)
  • 10:52   The Beacon Sound - Drone 3 (First Terrace, 2017)
  • 15:01   Qasim Naqvi - Ctaphone (Erased Tapes, 2020)
  • 16:40   Ian William Craig - Red Gate with Starling (Recital, 2018)
  • 19:58   Dorothy Carter - Summer Rhapsody (Palto Flats, 2023)
  • 27:02   Hatis Noit - Illogical Lullaby (Erased Tapes, 2018)
  • 34:57   Tewksbury - Yaw (Self-Released, 2024)
  • 47:17   Yuuki Matthews - Post-Tropical Cyclone (Labels Group, 2014)
  • 49:50   Marine Eyes & IKSRE - You'll Grow (Past inside the Present, 2022)
  • 54:27   Oneohtrix Point Never - Lovergirls Precinct (Warp, 2012)
  • 55:55   Time Wharp - East River Dusk (Leaving Records, 2022)
  • 58:23   Lubomyr Melnyk - Pockets of Light (Erased Tapes, 2013)
  • 77:38   End

No comments: