Wednesday, January 03, 2024

Favorite Jazz Albums of 2023

 

I was doing a lot of painting around the houseback in October and I was growing tired of my usual playlists. So I was happy when I stumbled on some 2023 jazz releases I hadn't heard. That set me off on a jazz binge over the last three months of the year which was fun because I discovered all sorts of new music, enough that I could make a year-end list and mix.

I hope to continue diving into new jazz artists and recordings next year. While I love all my old jazz albums from Miles Davis, Herbie Hancock, Chet Baker, Bill Evans, John Coltrane, etc., it was exciting to seek out new stuff the same way I am constantly on the lookout for new music in the ambient sphere or in the indie rock scene. I see so many people get hung up on the latest reissues of a classic jazz recordings that I wonder if they ever take the time to appreciate any of the excellent new music being released.


Full list of my favorite Jazz Albums of 2023 in alphabetical order:

  • Ancient Infinity Orchestra - River of Light
  • Anja Lauvdal - Farewell to Faraway Friends (wurlitzer improvisations 2021-23)
  • Arooj Aftab, Vijay lyer, Shahzad Ismaily - Love in Exile
  • Ballake Sissoko & Vincent Segal & Emile Parisien & Vincent Peirani - Les Egares
  • Dave Easley - Ballads
  • Daniel Villarreal - Lados B
  • Dhafer Youssef - Street of Minarets
  • EABS & Jaubiln - Search of a Better Tomorrow
  • Eli Keszler - LIVE
  • Fire! Orchestra - Echoes
  • Girls in Airports - How It is Now
  • Kamaal Williams - Stings
  • Mette Henriette - Drifting
  • Pat Metheny - Dream Box
  • Peace Flag Ensemble - Astral Plains
  • Peter Somuah - Letter to the Universe
  • Phi-Psonics - Octava
  • Scree - Jasmine On A Night In July
  • Scrimshire - Paroxysm
  • Wolfgang Muthspiel, Scott Colley, Brian Blade - Dance of the Elders
  • Yoni Mayraz - Dybbuk Tse!
  • Yussef Dayes - Black Classical Music


LINKS TO EACH ALBUM:

Ancient Infinity Orchestra - River of Light: https://ancientinfinityorchestra.bandcamp.com/album/river-of-light

Anja Lauvdal - Farewell to Faraway Friends (wurlitzer improvisations 2021-23): https://anjalauvdal.bandcamp.com/album/farewell-to-faraway-friends-vol-1-2

Arooj Aftab, Vijay Iyer, Shahzad Ismaily - Love in Exile:

Ballake Sissoko & Vincent Segal & Emile Parisien & Vincent Peirani - Les Egares:

Dave Easley - Ballads:

Daniel Villarreal - Lados B:

Dhafer Youssef - Street of Minarets:

EABS & Jaubiln - Search of a Better Tomorrow:

Eli Keszler - LIVE:

Fire! Orchestra - Echoes:

Girls in Airports - How It is Now:

Kamaal Williams - Stings:

Mette Henriette - Drifting:

Pat Metheny - Dream Box:

Peace Flag Ensemble - Astral Plains:

Peter Somuah - Letter to the Universe:

Phi-Psonics - Octava:

Scree - Jasmine On A Night In July:

Scrimshire - Paroxysm:

Wolfgang Muthspiel, Scott Colley, Brian Blade - Dance of the Elders:

Yoni Mayraz - Dybbuk Tse!:

Yussef Dayes - Black Classical Music:


I hope you enjoy this crop of 2023 jazz albums as much as I did. Cheers!




T R A C K L I S T :
  • 00:00    Phi-Psonics - Lunar Reflections (Octava)
  • 05:15    Girls in Airports - Yield (How It is Now)
  • 10:00    Yussef Dayes - Black Classical Music (Black Classical Music)
  • 15:05    Scrimshire - Unity Gain (Paroxysm)
  • 20:30    Anja Lauvdal - Siste hus (Farewell to Faraway Friends(wurlitzer improvisations 2021-23)
  • 24:07    Mette Henriette - The 7th (Drifting)
  • 24:37    Pat Metheny - The Waves Are Not The Ocean (Dream Box)
  • 30:06    Arooj Aftab, Vijay lyer, Shahzad Ismaily - Haseen Thi (Love in Exile)
  • 37:50    EABS & Jaubiln - Tomorrow (Search of a Better Tomorrow)
  • 42:00    Yoni Mayraz - 1999 (Dybbuk Tse!)
  • 44:26    Daniel Villarreal - Sunset Cliffs (Lados B)
  • 48:50    Dave Easley - Fleurette Africaine (Ballads)
  • 52:22    Fire! Orchestra - I See Your Eye, Part 1 (Echoes)
  • 1:02:10    Scree - Half-Death (Jasmine On A Night In July)
  • 1:06:06    Kamaal Williams - City of God (Stings)
  • 1:09:18    Ballake Sissoko & Vincent Segal & Emile Parisien & Vincent Peirani - Ta Nyé (Les Egares)
  • 1:13:08    Peter Somuah - Green Path (Letter to the Universe)
  • 1:16:36    Peace Flag Ensemble - You Can't Pin Joy Like A Moth (Astral Plains)
  • 1:21:31    Ancient Infinity Orchestra - Niyama (River of light)
  • 1:29:59    end

2 comments:

vida said...

Oh my goodness I've had this on repeat for the past two weeks. What a superb compilation of superb work <3

Low Light Mixes said...

Vida, I didn't see your comment until a month later but I'm so glad you liked the mix! Thanks for checking in.