Thursday, May 13, 2021

Meditation & Solace


The origin of this mix is very simple - I wanted a new collection of meditative tunes to sleep to or zone out to while sipping tequila on the deck.

Once I decided to go with a meditation mix I immediately thought of a recent purchase of music from an artist known as Calm Whale. You can't go wrong with any of their releases. Just close your eyes and pick one and it will be beautifully calm and meditative. 

Calm Whale on Bandcamp

The rest of the mix is almost all new stuff except for one random track from 1980 sneaking in.

Go sit in your comfy spot of choice and zone out to Meditation & Solace.

Cheers!


[ s t r e a m ]    [ d o w n l o a d ]    [ i t u n e s ]


T R A C K L I S T :

  • 00:00    Lab Cloud - Serenity 5am (The Structure Of Emotions 2021)
  • 06:00    Don Slepian - Sea of Bliss (New Music for Digital Orchestra 1980)
  • 13:03    Hipnotic Earth - Sadness Too Deep (HomeWorld 2021)
  • 21:41    Calm Whale - Flowing In Harmony - Tibetan Bowls & RAV (Flowing In Harmony - Tibetan Bowls & RAV 2021)
  • 29:33    Clariloops - Solace (Sun-Rain 2021)
  • 32:32    zakè & City of Dawn - Fragile Dreaming In A Fragile Mind (Frizzell & Duque: A Sorrow Unrequited 2021)
  • 39:27    the heart is awake - the Return ii(Healing Arts reMix) (the Healing Arts reMIXES Vol III 2020)
  • 45:11    jarguna - My Temple (My Temple 2020)
  • 50:15    Calm Whale - Breathing EARTH (Breathing EARTH Meditation 2021)
  • 62:17    end


3 comments:

The Interstellar Radio Station said...

It is often difficult to frequently redirect the listener focus back to the music in such relaxation mixes, but these selections successfully overcome this; thanks to the indigenous overlays (water and bowls).

The clarinet & later wind quintet cuts are the unattended pattern-repetitive wall flowers in the set. I see the quest for a bell mix yielded the final two, which are must haves; and you are right about Calm Whale.

Point of ambient trivia: 1980 Slepian was later plagiarized by himself in the 1987 "Sonic Perfume" on "Best of Both Worlds - the 2nd Audion Sampler" (Larry Fast [of Synergy]'s label, an important ambient pioneering label that is unfortunately missing from the blog).

Low Light Mixes said...

Thanks for the interesting info on that Slepian track. I actually have that Audion sampler but never put 2 + 2 together. That's the only Audion album I have in my digital collection but I know I had at least 2 other Audion releases, one for sure was from Jim Bartz. I guess I need to dig thru my physical collection and see what's in there. Oh man, now I also have the urge to play some Synergy at a high volume. Cheers!

The Interstellar Radio Station said...

Yes, the Bartz "Pictures of Earth + Space" is timeless, it hasn't lost its sense of innovation after 30+ years. The other two important evolutionary ambient releases were the Garry Hughes "Sacred Cities" and "Ancient Evenings" albums. To bear witness, consider Hughes' AE title track was selected along with Isham's "Tibet Part II" as key compositions indicating the "path" of ambient music evolution in Windham Hill's "Path" compilation released in 1990.

Both Audion samplers, the Bartz, and both the Hughes albums are part of the standard repertoire in my "Interstellar Radio Station".