Sunday, July 23, 2017

Rhythm of the Rails




This mix is a sort of follow up to the train mix of a couple of months ago.  I had a song or two that I hadn't used and then I stumbled upon the album "Simultonality" by Joshua Abrams & Natural Information Society. The track, Sideways Fall, has this great repetitive train-like feel to it.  I knew immediately that I needed to make another train mix to fit with that tune.

That Joshua Abrams track is more jazz than ambient so I decided to keep that vibe throughout the mix. A few cuts, Steve Reich, Dan Deacon & Fieldhead, wander off the jazz track a bit but they keep the sense of forward motion.

The three 2017 releases in this mix are a few of my favorite discoveries this year.  Check them out.

Joshua Abrams & Natural Information Society - Simultonality
Daniel Brandt - Eternal Something
Quatuor Ebene & Michel Portal - Eternal Stories


Cheers!


[ s t r e a m ]    [ d o w n l o a d ]    [ i t u n e s ]  



T R A C K L I S T :
  • 00:00    Chris Watson - Veracruz(El Tren Fantasma 2011)
  • 00:35    Joshua Abrams & Natural Information Society - Sideways Fall(Simultonality 2017)
  • 08:00    Daniel Brandt - FSG(Eternal Something 2017)
  • 11:30    The Winter Consort - The Little Train of Caipira(The Winter Consort 1968)
  • 13:54    Ludovico Einaudi - Elements(Elements 2015)
  • 19:35    Steve Reich - Different Trains-America Before the War(Works 1997)
  • 25:30    Chris Watson - El Divisadero(El Tren Fantasma 2011)
  • 27:35    Daniel Brandt - Kale Me(Eternal Something 2017)
  • 32:35    Quatuor Ebene & Michel Portal - City Birds(Eternal Stories 2017)
  • 38:25    Fieldhead - This Train is a Rainbow(They Shook Hands For Hours 2009)
  • 41:42    Gerry Mulligan - K4 Pacific(The Age Of Steam 1971)
  • 46:45    Alexandre Desplat - Night Train to Nebelsbad(Grand Budapest Hotel 2014)
  • 48:25    Dan Deacon - USA Suite(America 2012)
  • 58:23    end





4 comments:

InternerdX said...

Great mix LLM, and i connected the dots on a couple musicians here, starting with Joshua Abrams...who as it turns out is associated with Tortoise, one of my early 2000 fav post-rock bands. The mix has a nice propulsive yet melodic flow. Very nize. BTW...i didn't see this mix in your usual Mixcloud mixes, but here in your blogspot. Mixcloud mixup? Its all good...keeping on tracking on...
Jp aka InternerdX

InternerdX said...

Oh...and Daniel Brandt apparently plays all the instruments on the album Eternal Something. Very electro-acoustical

InternerdX said...

Just noticed the Winter Consort should be Paul Winter Consort and the albumn is The Winter Consort....i was wondering why i couldn't find it anywhere...nice classic jazz with an ECM vibe...delubly

Low Light Mixes said...

Hi Jp,
Thanks for the info on Abrams, I had no idea of the association. I'm glad you liked this mix. I always enjoyed it and was disappointed it didn't do better on Mixcloud. And it is on Mixcloud here... https://www.mixcloud.com/lowlight/rhythm-of-the-rails/

The Winter Consort thing is confusing because it started in the late 60s as The Winter Consort but eventually morphed into The Paul Winter Consort. I used to like a lot of his stuff in the 70s and 80s and some of it became a bit new agey for my taste. But I find I like it more now than I thought I would. Maybe that's due to my renewed love for wind instruments.

Cheers my friend!