Saturday, April 22, 2017

Pale Blue Dot - Earth Day 2017


"Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives."
     - Carl Sagan


I have always loved Carl Sagan's "Pale Blue Dot" essay. It's even better hearing his voice reading it.  In the Cosmos reboot from a couple of years ago, when they played a clip of Carl I actually cried.  Yes, I am a huge dork.  So needless to say, Sagan reading about the pale blue dot gets me every time. 

There are a ton of videos on youtube combining his quotes with music & images. Some are quite good, some use horrible cheesy music or hokey stock photos.  I thought, heck I'm a video editor, I'll make my own video. But then I realized how sometimes the images can detract from the prose.

So I decided to combine Sagan's Pale Blue Dot with one of my all-time favorite pieces of music - Max Richter's "On the Nature of Daylight."  The next step was to use that mashup to lead off a mix dedicated to Earth Day 2017 & the coinciding March for Science.  If you look at the track titles the theme is obvious.

I eventually did make a video to go with the mashup.  But it's just one image.  It's a pic taken by the Cassini spacecraft from just beyond Saturn.  It's Pale Blue Dot 2.0 if you will.  The  video is just one long slow pull from earth out to the full image.

Take a look here...


Enjoy the mix, Earth Day and remember - Science, not Silence.

Cheers!







T R A C K L I S T :
  • 00:00    Carl Sagan & Max Richter - Pale Blue Dot & On the Nature of Daylight
  • 05:05    Jim Cole & Spectral Voices - Hear Earth
  • 08:00    Steve Roach - On This Planet
  • 15:20    Map & Diagrams - Particles of Earth
  • 18:10    A Small Good Thing - Scorched Earth
  • 23:15    Adam Pacione - Warming Trend
  • 25:27    Shuttle358 - Melt
  • 30:10    Jeff Greinke - Changing Skies
  • 32:50    Brian Eno - Climate Study
  • 35:30    J. Ralph - The Glaciers Are Telling
  • 37:20    Michael Brook - Earth Alone
  • 39:20    Mathias Grassow - Planetary Consciousness
  • 43:45    Lav & Purl - Earthship
  • 49:50    Robert Scott Thompson - Pale Blue Dot
  • 65:00    end






1 comment:

Unknown said...

Who would like to feel insignificant, but yet be at the centre of all that's out there?
If that's you, then this is for you alone!!!..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atUGBua2AzE