The group recorded the new tracks in Instanbul and the whole album definitely has the texture and feel that one would associate with Turkish music. The Constellation Records website describes it perfectly...
"As a title for Esmerine's new album, "dalmak" refers in a literal sense to immersion in the culture and music of Istanbul but also appropriately evokes the range of music that emerged from this immersion: a collection of songs that shift between meditative pulsing and enveloping restraint to headlong flights into rhythm and groove."
With Esmerine as I starting point I went to some familiar sources. One being the wonderful recordings of Myke Dodge Weiskopf. I excerpted part of his Field Recordings & Global Ambience mix and also used a cut from his latest release - "The Muezzins of Mali."
I also worked in some Byrne & Eno early mixes from the "My Life in the Bush of Ghosts" sessions. As well as some early mixes and extracts from Peter Gabriel's "Passion."
I enjoy these musical treks, I hope you do too.
[ s t r e a m ] [ d o w n l o a d ] [ i t u n e s ]
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00:00 Esmerine - Lost River Blues I
- 07:30 Isnaj Dui - Quarter Wave
- 11:55 David Byrne & Brian Eno - Breathing Once a Minute
- 15:00 Myke Dodge Weiskopf - Evening Call to Prayer 11 August 2010 - Draginovo, Bulgaria
- 15:25 Peter Gabriel - Passion extras #3
- 17:15 Saltland - But It Was All of Us
- 21:30 Penjaga Insaf - Keinsafan
- 24:20 The Guo Brothers & Shung Tıan - Soldiers of the Long March
- 26:15 Rapoon - Dream Dance
- 28:55 Huren - The Shroud
- 30:30 Chronomad - se
- 34:00 Bielka Nemirovski - Akh Ti Notchenka
- 39:00 The Rustavi Choir - Orovela(with Peter Gabriel mixed under)
- 43:55 Rapoon - Hey...Drifting
- 48:30 David Bryne & Brian Eno - Shaking With My Voice
- 50:50 Jon Hassel - Map of Dusk
- 52:30 Myke Dodge Weiskopf - The Muezzins of Mali - San - Adhan al-Fajr
- 55:25 Ry Cooder & Ronu Majumbar - Hollow Bamboo
- 1:00:20 Peter Gabriel - Unlocking the Door
- 1:02:22 end