"I, the fiery life of divine essence, am aflame beyond the beauty of the meadows, I gleam in the waters, and I burn in the sun, moon and stars."- Hildegard von Bingen
Electronic & ambient music seems perfectly suited for stargazing. So you really could use just about any ambient mix for night sky viewing and it will work just fine. But sometimes it's nice to do a mix specifically geared towards astronomical awe.
It's always interesting to see how the song titles match the theme of the mix. Sometimes I pick tunes precisely because the titles match but most of the time it's accidental. In this mix we have titles like "Alpha Centauri", "Polaris", "After Midnight", "One Starry Starry Night" and "Encounter in an unexplored nebula."
As usual the music is a mix of old & new, with most tunes being from the last couple years. I was happy to sneak in an old track from Jean-Michel Jarre. Different from his normal berlin-school stuff, this one is a nice long ambient cut from 1990.
As with a lot of stargazing mixes, this one works well as a sleep mix too. I can testify to it's effectiveness.
On a side note...thanks to anyone who voted for Low Light Mixes in the Mixcloud best of 2011 poll. We came in 78th. Doesn't sound like much but considering they have thousands of "cloudcasters", coming 78th was great. Thanks for all your support last year & over the last 6 years.
[ s t r e a m ] | [ d o w n l o a d ] | [ i t u n e s ]
T R A C K L I S T :
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00:00 Lunar Testing Lab - Paaliaq (I, Absentee)
- 01:35 Sonmi451 - Alpha Centauri (Time Released Sound)
- 04:40 Digitonal - Polaris (Leaves)
- 07:20 Diatonis - One Starry Starry Night (Diatonis)
- 12:15 The Winterhouse - Clearing (DataObscura)
- 18:00 Frederico Durand - El Mundo Secreto De La Montana (Spekk)
- 21:30 A Produce & Loren Nerell - Intangible (Hypnos)
- 28:20 Maps & Diagrams - The Infinite Delay (Handstitched Recordings)
- 30:45 Thom Brennan - Pulse
- 31:55 Aglaia - After Midnight (Hic Sunt Leones)
- 37:30 Sonmi451 - Blue (U cover)
- 43:05 Biosphere - Warmed by the Drift (Touch)
- 48:20 Jean Michel Jarre - En Attendant Cousteau (Disques Dreyfus)
- 55:10 The Civilized Electrons - Encounter, In an Unexplored Nebula (Databloem)