I've had that phrase on my blog profile for a long time. I've used different parts of it as titles for my series of 'shortwave' mixes(drift on the signal, ghost in the phase, flicker & fade).
With this mix I've completely tapped out that slogan because the new mix is called "distant transmissions."
I'm not really sure exactly how I came up with that line. I remember going through shortwave terms looking for a title for the first shortwave mix & I came across the phrase "drift on the signal". I liked the sound of that & used it for the first mix. Somewhere along the line I also read the term "ghost in the phase" & then just combined those two with other terms to come up with that short phrase which I liked because it's as close as I'm ever going to get to writing a lyric of any sort.
This mix, like the others, makes use of the wonderful shortwave recordings of Myke Weiskopf. Check out his blog here... for lots of streaming audio & downloadable goodies. I've done 5 mixes featuring Myke's work & none of them would have been possible without his documentary series. Huge thanks to Myke for all his fine recordings. Check out the ShortWaveMusic Facebook page too.
[ s t r e a m ] | [ d o w n l o a d ] | [ i t u n e s ]
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00:00 Ionoscatter_Unmodulated_Signal_And_Meteor_Whistles_6-2-58
- 00:30 Radio Bulgaria(stretched & normal)
- 01:33 Max Richter - Infra
- 04:30 Benoît Pioulard - Passenger
- 05:20 offthesky - frozen fountain
- 07:20 upward arrows - ^^^^
- 08:55 Family Radio International
- 09:30 ??? - Traveling Light
- 13:50 The Humble Bee - 07 jan 2010
- 16:30 Christian Fennesz & Ryuichi Sakamoto - kuni
- 18:20 Freescha - baby Maker
- 19:50 Daizok - Shoreline VII
- 24:15 Radio Morocco
- 26:20 Area C - Map of circular thought
- 29:10 Juv - til
- 29:42 Max Richter - Journey 5
- 30:45 Inversz - Home End
- 35:10 Myke Weiskopf - You're Up, You're There, You're D
- 37:40 Christian Fennesz & Ryuichi Sakamoto - Amorph
- 43:22 end