I took the "other-wordly" idea to make a mix of music that is vaguely foreign sounding, at least foreign to my American ears. The music is Middle Eastern, Asian, African, Eastern European and Indian.
I go back to a familiar source for some of the sounds, the Shortwave Music blog of Myke Weiskopf. Whether it's the night call to prayer in Bulgaria or Qur’an recitation from BSKSA Saudi Arabia, Myke has great recordings that everyone should take the time to investigate.
The times in the tracklist are rough. Sometimes there are two or three tracks playing at once & not all are listed in the tracklist. I also messed with a few tracks, adding stretched audio as a backing track or adding reverb.
At various times haunting, beautiful, calming or hypnotic, the music in this mix will hopefully stir your imagination.
Download (right click/save as) : 51:14, 74mb
in foreign lands
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00:00 Djivan Gasparyan - You have to come back to me
- 02:22 Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan & Michael Brook - Night Song
- 06:20 Hildegard Westerkamp - Gently Penetrating
- 07:00 Night call to prayer in Draginovo, Bulgaria
- 09:20 Peter Nooten & Michael Brook - Suddenly II
- 10:25 Maya Beiser - I was there
- 15:00 harmonic fx
- 15:50 Gamelan Madu Sari - thinly roundly
- 18:15 Ayub Ogada - Kothbiro
- 22:00 Jon Hassell - Frontiera
- 22:30 Hildegard Westerkamp - Into the labyrinth
- 22:55 Geir Jenssen - Camp 2, world music on the radio
- 23:30 Gamelan Madu Sari - Dreams he is a ball of fire or a hummingbird
- 26:30 Peter Gabriel - Wall of Breath
- 28:15 Galata Mevlevi - Nay Taksim
- 29:40 Hildegard Westerkamp - Soundscape of cities, Delhi
- 30:10 Forrest Fang - Garuda
- 31:15 Jon Hassell - Tramonto
- 33:00 Qur’an recitation from BSKSA Saudi Arabia
- 34:20 Lamp of the Universe - Heru, part 1
- 36:55 U Srinivas & Michael Brook - Think
- 41:30 Anouar Brahem - L'oiseau
- 45:45 Djivan Gasparyan - dle vaman
- 49:30 Peter Gabriel - A sense of home
- 51:14 end